About Me

My photo
"Me" enjoys getting lost in the wilderness, controlled falls down snow covered mountainsides and paddling around in small, narrow, open-topped boats. I like politics. Give me a box and I'll think outside of it. I also like liberty and individual responsibility. I think they're nice. I have a love of literature, especially the beat generation of the 1950s and the lost generation of 1920s. Sometimes I write.

Wednesday 1 February 2012

The Great Outdoors

Went out a couple of weekends ago to Tyresö Nature Reserve with my buddy G and the dog, mostly just to get outside and enjoy an open fire. The birth of my daughter last week prevented me from posting this until now, and unfortunately this extreme cold snap we're expecting will probably prevent me from getting out when we are up in Hälsingland this weekend. It will of course be far too cold for little one, but let me tell you, she is worth everything I ever have to give up or postpone for her. It won't be too long 'til she's coming out with me in any case.




















During the afternoon in Tyresö I also got the chance to use the Bushbuddy Ultra. It was a little trickier to light in damper conditions, but I kept it going for about 3 hours with very little wood. I must say that having an axe - Gränsfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet - was indispensable in keeping it stoked, but only since I was essentially using it as an extra campfire. Using it as a stove for 20 minutes could probably be achieved just as easily with a few handfuls of twigs.
















It wasn't too cold, just below freezing, and the open fire, hot tea and a warm meal made it more than comfortable. Just a few hours, and a walk back to the car in the dark, but it sure felt good to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment